This month: Employment with major consultancies
Available only to IAIA members, the “Professional Success" webinar series looks at the business side of being successful in the field of impact assessment – everything from finding jobs to finding contracts to forming fair business partnerships to crafting winning proposals. Last month members discussed tips for setting up a successful IA consulting business; now the conversation turns to employment with major consultancies.
The pros and cons of employment with the major consultancies
Date: Thursday, 24 February 2022
Cost: Free to current IAIA members
How to participate: Join IAIA today! Members will receive the registration link directly via email and in the Members Group of IAIAConnect.
Description: This webinar will demystify what it is like to work in a large consulting company. It will answer questions like:
Join us for an hour of conversation moderated by IAIA President Marla Orenstein with panelists Aaron Goldschmidt (Wood), George Hegmann (Stantec), and Claudia Valencia Franke (SNC-Lavalin). Questions from the audience will be invited for the last 15 minutes.
- What’s good about working for a large company?
- What are the downsides?
- What do you need to know to get hired at different experience levels?
- What kinds of clients and projects can you expect to work on?
- Is it all just paper pushing?
- What is the career trajectory?
- At what point do you start being a decision maker or influencer?
- At what level are you expected to bring work in the door?
Coming in March: Making the most of conference networking
Potential future topics include:
- Finding and winning bids for IA contracts
- Successful partnering for small/local consultancies
- Taking a job as an ESG / sustainability consultant
- Right size, right price on your proposal
- Procurement with the major development banks
- Professional success in Africa
- Professional success in Latin America
- Working in a political crisis
- Have an idea not on this list? Share it with us and we will see what we can do!
Registration links for each webinar will be shared with members via email and on IAIAConnect in the weeks leading up to each session. Join the webinar live to ask the presenters your own questions during Q&A. Not able to make it? Register anyway to get a link to the recording. The recordings will also be posted on the Members Only page of the IAIA website. Each webinar will run approximately 60-90 minutes.
Not yet a member? Join today to get access to this new members-only webinar series, plus a subscription to the IAPA journal, access to an impact assessment-focused professional networking community, and more!